26%Taiwan's orders filled abroad in 2002

Dec 03, 2003 Ι Industry In-Focus Ι Furniture Ι By Judy, CENS
facebook twitter google+ Pin It plurk

Taipei, Dec. 3, 2003 (CENS)--Near 26% of the orders received by Taiwan's manufacturers in 2002 were filled abroad, a record high ratio of its kind, according to an investigation report done by the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA).

The report showed that total orders (including exports and domestic sales) received by Taiwan's manufacturers in 2002 were valued at NT$10.36 trillion (US$300.32 billion at US$1 = NT$34.5), with 74.63% of them delivered from Taiwan and the remaining 25.36% turned out overseas. Of those generated at home, 7.15% was subcontracted to other local makers. Compared to the ratio of 84.54% for orders delivered in Taiwan in 2000, the corresponding ratio in 2002 represented a major drop of near 10 percentage points.

In 2002, 18.73% of orders were delivered from overseas production bases of Taiwanese manufacturers, including 13.92% of total orders filled from their production bases mainland China, which, in turn, recorded a sharp rise of 8.5 percentage points from 2000's 5.42%.

Of the polled manufacturers, 48% took their counterparts in the mainland as major rivals in the world market, and 39% saw labor shortage, up 7 percentage points from 2001. About 55.51% of polled large enterprises admitted they were in short of workers, much higher than 45.77% for medium enterprises and 34.34% for small enterprises.

In terms of industries, about 44% of the electronic information technology firms expressed the need for more workers, followed by 40.86% for the metal & machinery equipment, 37.04% for chemicals, and 34.43% for consumer products.

Meanwhile, of the talents wanted, technical engineers and software application researchers were needed by 49% of the polled manufacturers, particularly in the electronic information technology and chemical industries, which posted a much high percentage of 69% and 51%, respectively.
©1995-2006 Copyright China Economic News Service All Rights Reserved.