MOEA to budget NT$5 B. for innovation industrial park in southern Taiwan

Dec 26, 2003 Ι Industry In-Focus Ι Furniture Ι By Ken, CENS
facebook twitter google+ Pin It plurk

Taipei, Dec. 26, 2003 (CENS)--The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) plans to spend NT$5 billion (US$147 million at US$1:NT$34) to set up an industrial park in southern Taiwan focusing on innovative technologies over the next five years.

The ministry expects the industrial park to lure 60 enterprises with innovative technologies including five world's benchmark enterprises to open facilities there at a total investment cost of NT$10 billion (US$294 million).

The ministry pointed out that the industrial park, located in Tainan, southern Taiwan, is designed to help transform southern Taiwan's industrial structure into one stressing innovation as well as research and development from one focusing on traditional manufacturing.

First-stage site of the industrial park will be opened on Jan. 30 next year.

The ministry will encourage all of the private and government organizations that win its technology-development project funds to conduct their projects at the park. So far, the ministry has assigned the government-backed Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI), Institute for Information Industry (III) and Food Industry Research and Development Institute to send a total of 400 researchers to do researches there.

Around 40% of the 13,700-ping park will be earmarked for research institutions while the remaining 60% will be opened to private enterprises. Totally, the park is forecast to need 1,500 R&D specialists and create 4,500 jobs for southern Taiwan.
©1995-2006 Copyright China Economic News Service All Rights Reserved.